Domestic Violence Counselor
Bilingual English/Spanish (Somerville, MA)
Pay range between $13-$17 per hour depending upon education and experience.
RESPOND, Inc, located in Somerville, MA, seeks a Direct Service Staff (Certified Domestic Violence Counselor, to be certified by RESPOND, Inc. upon employment) to provide direct service, supervision, training, case management and coaching to survivors of domestic violence in the RESPOND, Inc. shelter and in our Community Program. This direct supervision, training, case management and coaching varies in degree of intensity based on the needs of the individuals being served. The Certified Domestic Violence Counselor protects and affirms the rights of individuals while helping them achieve independence by creating an environment responsive to their needs.
RESPOND, Inc., a pioneer in the movement to end domestic violence, is New England’s first domestic violence agency and the second oldest in the nation. Since its inception in 1974, RESPOND has provided safety and support to over 110,000 victims of domestic violence including adults, teens and children. Through its Community Program, RESPOND provides a 24-hour crisis hotline, individual counseling, advocacy, support groups and children services. The Enhanced Shelter Program provides safe, confidential housing and comprehensive supportive services in a 21 bed facility. More information about RESPOND, Inc can be found at www.respondinc.org
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Director and Assistant Directors of Programs and Services, the Direct Service Staff (Certified Domestic Violence Counselor):
– Promotes the development of a positive and supportive community at the shelter by supporting individuals, interacting with children, and creating opportunities for group activities in the house.
– Conducts intakes and assessments and coordinates admittance into the RESPOND program and/or shelter.
– Answers RESPOND’s 24-hour hotline and provides emotional support, referrals and resources.
– Effectively communicates issues (orally and through appropriate documentation) at the shelter to the Shelter Coordinator and other staff (including assigned back-up) to ensure the delivery of quality services to individuals and families.
– Participates in group facilitation, including crisis, parenting and transition groups.
– Actively participates in weekly supervision, staff and agency meetings.
– Attends appropriate professional development opportunities.
– Must have or be willing to obtain the 25 hour Domestic Violence Counselor Certification (we will train if you don’t have it).
3-11pm Sunday – Thursday
7am-3pm Sunday – Thursday
The successful candidate will be highly motivated, bilingual English/Spanish, forward thinking, energetic, and hard-working.
BA or equivalent strongly preferred. Strong English language communication, writing and reading skills are required. Fluency in Spanish strongly desired. Basic computer knowledge a necessity.
Resume and a letter of interest should be sent to Amanda@respondinc.org.