Domestic violence is a public health issue impacting families everyday. Below are some facts and stats to help illustrate the scope of this serious issue.
1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
1 in 3 adolescent girls in the U.S. are victims of physical, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner.
It takes an average of 7 attempts for a woman to leave her abuser and stay separated for good.
Each day, two women are murdered by their husband or boyfriend in the US.
In recent MA history, there have been at least 15 domestic violence related homicides on average per year.
- January 10, 2017: Eugenia Gomes Monteiro, 30 of Brockton, was found dead from gunshot wounds. Her boyfriend was found late that night after apparently committing suicide.
- January 24, 2017: Maria Morton, 32 of Lawrence, was killed in her home. Her boyfriend was arrested and arraigned in relation to her death.
- February 28, 2017: Mary Fratantonio, 35 of Cotuit, was killed in her home. Her husband was arrested and expected to be arraigned in relation to her death. Their two children were in the home at the time of her death.
- April 16, 2017: Aracelys Valdez Deleon, 40 of Lowell, was shot and killed. Another man was also shot and injured in this incident. While no one has been arrested yet the ex-boyfriend of Aracelys Deleon is a suspect.
- April 30, 2017: Brenda Hatheway, 43 of Webster, was killed in what has been described as a domestic violence related incident. Her live-in-boyfriend has been charged in connection with her death.
- May 11, 2017: Nicole White, 44 of Lowell, was shot in her home. She was brought to the hospital where she died. Her ex-boyfriend was found after a two-day manhunt. He apparently committed suicide.
- June 21, 2017: Leah Penny, 31 of Malden, was killed in her home. Her boyfriend is being held without bail.
- July 21, 2017: Joseph Shaw, 44 of Brockton, was stabbed in his home. His girlfriend was arraigned on a charge of murder.
- July 23, 2017: Sonia Rios, 42 of Leominster, was stabbed following an argument. Her boyfriend was charged with murder.
- August 19, 2017: Michelle Clarke, 33 of Weymouth, was found dead from sharp trauma. Police have obtained an arrest warrant for Kerrol Florizel Bailey. The two have dated in the past.
This annual census conducted by National Network to End Domestic Violence documents the number of individuals who sought services in MA in a single 24-hour period, as well as the types of services requested, the number of service requests that went unmet due to a lack of resources, and the issues and barriers that domestic violence programs face as they strive to provide services to victims of domestic violence.
For more information on domestic violence call our Programs & Services Department at 617-440-7267.