Domestic violence is a public health issue impacting families everyday. Below are some facts and stats to help illustrate the scope of this serious issue.
1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
1 in 3 adolescent girls in the U.S. are victims of physical, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner.
It takes an average of 7 attempts for a woman to leave her abuser and stay separated for good.
Each day, two women are murdered by their husband or boyfriend in the US.
In recent MA history, there have been at least 15 domestic violence related homicides on average each year.
- August 17, 2020, Megan McNeil, 27, of Worcester, was shot and killed by her boyfriend in her home.
- August 8, 2020: Migdalia Perez, 47, of Gardner, had an argument with her partner, who later shot her outside of her home.
- June 27, 2020: Amber Pereira, 30, of Somerset, was shot and killed by her estranged husband.
- May 14, 2020: Kathleen McLean, 45, of Dover, was strangled to death by her husband in their home after an argument.
- March 27, 2020: Mardiette Deboyes, 57, of Wareham, was stabbed to death by her husband.
- March 26, 2020: Sandra L. Kumar, 53, of Mashpee, was killed by her boyfriend whom she was living with.
- December 12, 2019: Karla Rodriguez, 20, of Framingham, was shot by her boyfriend of three months after an argument. Karla was pregnant at the time.
- December 1, 2019: Charli Cook, 44, of North Adams, was attacked by her husband previously in the year, which resulted in her being in a coma. She passed away months after due to her severe injuries.
- November 3, 2019: Shanike Roldan, 34 of Springfield, was shot to death by a man who was enraged about her informing him that he was the father of her two children.
- October 21, 2019: Jamee Ammons-Maddrey, 27, of Framingham, was stabbed to death by her boyfriend in her apartment.
- October 20, 2019: Mary Fairbairn, 57, of Groton, was allegedly stabbed to death by her husband.
- October 18, 2019: Jason Swedberg, 40, of Worcester, was stabbed to death by his girlfriend.
- October 7, 2019: Deirdre Zaccardi, 40 of Abbington, was shot to death by her husband. He also took the lives of their three children, Alexis (11), Kathryn (9), and Nathaniel (9).
- October 2, 2019: Jennifer Vasquez-Rivera, 34 of Worcester, was stabbed to death by her former partner.
- September 15, 2019: Heng Seng Tan, 50s of Lowell, was killed by the former male partner of his neighbor.
- September 15, 2019: Jennifer Kalicki, 39 of Tewksbury, died by blunt force trauma at the hands of her boyfriend in the apartment they shared.
- August 11, 2019: Dora Chaves, 38 of Boston, was stabbed to death by her husband in their Roxbury apartment.
- July 4, 2019: Biquiang He, 55 of Quincy, was stabbed to death by his wife.
- July 3, 2019: Amanda Dabrowski, 31 of Worcester, was stabbed to death at a restaurant. Her ex-boyfriend has been charged with her murder.
- June 1, 2019: Cleucilene Alves da Silva, 40 of Worcester, was stabbed to death by her former partner in her home.
- May 30, 2019: Shen Cai, 49 of Lexington, was found dead inside of an SUV on the side of a
road. Her husband was arrested and charged with her murder.
- May 3, 2019: Telma Bras, 43 of Stoughton, was stabbed to death by her husband in their home.
- April 24, 2019: Debra Blasko, 57 of Northborough, died in an apparent murder-suicide in the home she shared with her husband.
- March 14, 2019: Marek Karpinski, 3 of Sheffield, was found dead in his home after a fire was extinguished.
- March 14, 2019: Zoe Karpinski, 7 of Sheffield, was found dead in her home after a fire was extinguished.
- March 14, 2019: Alex Karpinski, 7 of Sheffield, was found dead in his home after a fire was extinguished.
- March 14, 2019: Justine Wilbur, 41 of Sheffield, was found dead in her home after a fire was extinguished.
- January 13, 2019: Alexis M Avery, 20 of Westfield, was found by police and pronounced dead from multiple stab wounds.
- January 5, 2019: Karina Nieves, 24 of Northampton, died in her apartment from gunshot wounds.
- December 19, 2018: Ersilia Cataldo Matarazzo, 50, of Everett, was shot and killed by her estranged husband.
- November 19, 2018: Lodimira Dos Santos, 50 of Everett, was shot and killed by her former boyfriend, who then shot and killed himself.
- September 24, 2018: Shana Warner, 48 of Marshfield, was stabbed, shot and run over by a car allegedly by her estranged husband.
- August 9, 2018: Maddilyn Burgess, 28 of Sturbridge, was found dead in the car trunk belonging to her boyfriend.
- June 29, 2018: Janet Kastberg, 60 of Holland, was found in her home beaten to death, allegedly by her husband.
- June 25, 2018: Dolores Chisholm, 79 of West Boylston, was found fatally shot in her car along with her husband.
- May 28, 2018: Yesenia Torres, 28 of Lawrence, was stabbed by to death in the apartment she shared with her husband.
- May 12, 2018: Bethgy Cator, 26 of Brockton, was shot and killed in a parking lot.
- April 21, 2018: Wendi Rose Davidson, 49 of North Andover, was discovered dead in the basement of her home and her former fiancé was charged with murder.
- April 13, 2018: Kassedi Clark, 24 of Hinsdale, was found dead of multiple gunshot wounds inside a vehicle in front of property owned by her estranged boyfriend.
- March 26, 2018: Luz Acebedo, 47 of Lynn, was hit to death with a metal baseball bat, allegedly by her husband in their apartment.
- February 23, 2018: Kimberly Lockett, 43 of Springfield, was found stabbed to death, allegedly by her husband, Terry Lockett, 41, in her apartment.
- February 10, 2018: Olivia Bergstrom, 20 of Needham, was found stabbed to death, allegedly by her boyfriend, in the apartment they shared.
- January 22, 2018: Janice Houston, 65 of Montgomery, was shot by her husband in their home.
- January 5, 2018: Christa Leigh Steele-Knudslien, 42 of North Adams, was stabbed and beaten to death, allegedly by her husband in their Western Massachusetts home.
- September 23, 2017: Vanessa MacCormack, 30 of Revere, was killed in her home. Her husband was charged with her murder.
- August 19, 2017: Michelle Clarke, 33 of Weymouth, was found dead from sharp trauma. Police have obtained an arrest warrant for Kerrol Florizel Bailey. The two have dated in the past.
- July 23, 2017: Sonia Rios, 42 of Leominster, was stabbed following an argument. Her boyfriend was charged with murder.
- July 21, 2017: Joseph Shaw, 44 of Brockton, was stabbed in his home. His girlfriend was arraigned on a charge of murder.
- June 21, 2017: Leah Penny, 31 of Malden, was killed in her home. Her boyfriend is being held without bail.
- May 11, 2017: Nicole White, 44 of Lowell, was shot in her home. She was brought to the hospital where she died. Her ex-boyfriend was found after a two-day manhunt. He apparently committed suicide.
- April 30, 2017: Brenda Hatheway, 43 of Webster, was killed in what has been described as a domestic violence related incident. Her live-in-boyfriend has been charged in connection with her death.
- April 16, 2017: Aracelys Valdez Deleon, 40 of Lowell, was shot and killed. Another man was also shot and injured in this incident. While no one has been arrested yet the ex-boyfriend of Aracelys Deleon is a suspect.
- February 28, 2017: Mary Fratantonio, 35 of Cotuit, was killed in her home. Her husband was arrested and expected to be arraigned in relation to her death. Their two children were in the home at the time of her death.
- January 24, 2017: Maria Morton, 32 of Lawrence, was killed in her home. Her boyfriend was arrested and arraigned in relation to her death.
- January 10, 2017: Eugenia Gomes Monteiro, 30 of Brockton, was found dead from gunshot wounds. Her boyfriend was found late that night after apparently committing suicide.
This annual census conducted by National Network to End Domestic Violence documents the number of individuals who sought services in MA in a single 24-hour period, as well as the types of services requested, the number of service requests that went unmet due to a lack of resources, and the issues and barriers that domestic violence programs face as they strive to provide services to victims of domestic violence. For this year’s national data, click here. For Massachusetts-specific data, click here.