Domestic violence is a public health issue impacting families everyday. Below are some facts and stats to help illustrate the scope of this serious issue.
1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
1 in 3 adolescent girls in the U.S. are victims of physical, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner.
It takes an average of 7 attempts for a woman to leave her abuser and stay separated for good.
Each day, two women are murdered by their husband or boyfriend in the US.
In recent MA history, there have been at least 15 domestic violence related homicides on average each year.
- August 17, 2020, Megan McNeil, 27, of Worcester, was shot and killed by her boyfriend in her home.
- August 8, 2020: Migdalia Perez, 47, of Gardner, had an argument with her partner, who later shot her outside of her home.
- June 27, 2020: Amber Pereira, 30, of Somerset, was shot and killed by her estranged husband.
- May 14, 2020: Kathleen McLean, 45, of Dover, was strangled to death by her husband in their home after an argument.
- March 27, 2020: Mardiette Deboyes, 57, of Wareham, was stabbed to death by her husband.
- March 26, 2020: Sandra L. Kumar, 53, of Mashpee, was killed by her boyfriend whom she was living with.
- December 12, 2019: Karla Rodriguez, 20, of Framingham, was shot by her boyfriend of three months after an argument. Karla was pregnant at the time.
- December 1, 2019: Charli Cook, 44, of North Adams, was attacked by her husband previously in the year, which resulted in her being in a coma. She passed away months after due to her severe injuries.
- November 3, 2019: Shanike Roldan, 34 of Springfield, was shot to death by a man who was enraged about her informing him that he was the father of her two children.
- October 21, 2019: Jamee Ammons-Maddrey, 27, of Framingham, was stabbed to death by her boyfriend in her apartment.
- October 20, 2019: Mary Fairbairn, 57, of Groton, was allegedly stabbed to death by her husband.
- October 18, 2019: Jason Swedberg, 40, of Worcester, was stabbed to death by his girlfriend.
- October 7, 2019: Deirdre Zaccardi, 40 of Abbington, was shot to death by her husband. He also took the lives of their three children, Alexis (11), Kathryn (9), and Nathaniel (9).
- October 2, 2019: Jennifer Vasquez-Rivera, 34 of Worcester, was stabbed to death by her former partner.
- September 15, 2019: Heng Seng Tan, 50s of Lowell, was killed by the former male partner of his neighbor.
- September 15, 2019: Jennifer Kalicki, 39 of Tewksbury, died by blunt force trauma at the hands of her boyfriend in the apartment they shared.
- August 11, 2019: Dora Chaves, 38 of Boston, was stabbed to death by her husband in their Roxbury apartment.
- July 4, 2019: Biquiang He, 55 of Quincy, was stabbed to death by his wife.
- July 3, 2019: Amanda Dabrowski, 31 of Worcester, was stabbed to death at a restaurant. Her ex-boyfriend has been charged with her murder.
- June 1, 2019: Cleucilene Alves da Silva, 40 of Worcester, was stabbed to death by her former partner in her home.
- May 30, 2019: Shen Cai, 49 of Lexington, was found dead inside of an SUV on the side of a
road. Her husband was arrested and charged with her murder.
- May 3, 2019: Telma Bras, 43 of Stoughton, was stabbed to death by her husband in their home.
- April 24, 2019: Debra Blasko, 57 of Northborough, died in an apparent murder-suicide in the home she shared with her husband.
- March 14, 2019: Marek Karpinski, 3 of Sheffield, was found dead in his home after a fire was extinguished.
- March 14, 2019: Zoe Karpinski, 7 of Sheffield, was found dead in her home after a fire was extinguished.
- March 14, 2019: Alex Karpinski, 7 of Sheffield, was found dead in his home after a fire was extinguished.
- March 14, 2019: Justine Wilbur, 41 of Sheffield, was found dead in her home after a fire was extinguished.
- January 13, 2019: Alexis M Avery, 20 of Westfield, was found by police and pronounced dead from multiple stab wounds.
- January 5, 2019: Karina Nieves, 24 of Northampton, died in her apartment from gunshot wounds.
- December 19, 2018: Ersilia Cataldo Matarazzo, 50, of Everett, was shot and killed by her estranged husband.
- November 19, 2018: Lodimira Dos Santos, 50 of Everett, was shot and killed by her former boyfriend, who then shot and killed himself.
This annual census conducted by National Network to End Domestic Violence documents the number of individuals who sought services in MA in a single 24-hour period, as well as the types of services requested, the number of service requests that went unmet due to a lack of resources, and the issues and barriers that domestic violence programs face as they strive to provide services to victims of domestic violence. For this year’s national data, click here. For Massachusetts-specific data, click here.